the cod fish is sooo sweet and delicious! really a chinese delicacy!
A closer look :
- 1 thick slice of Fresh Cod Fish Steak (About 1 inch thick)
- 2 slices Ginger
- a dash of pepper
For the Sauce
- 1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Rock Sugar (You could use normal sugar if you don’t have rock sugar)
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1 tbsp Hsao Xing Wine
- 3 bulbs of garlic, finely chopped.
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- some spring onions, cut into 1 inch length
- Clean fish, pat dry. Place ginger on a steaming dish, place fish on top.
- Bring water in the steamer to a boil and steam fish over high heat for 6 minutes.
- While the fish is steaming half way, heat sauce ingredient in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Remove fish from the steamer, pour away the steaming liquid .
- Add a dash of pepper and drizzle sauce over.
- Fry chopped garlic with oil in another pan until golden brown. Don’t burnt it.
- Pour the hot garlic oil over, garnish with golden brown garlic and spring onions. Serve!
Note 1 : The purpose of ginger (or sometimes we used spring onions) slides under the plate is to provide ventilation to the underside of the fish and or avoiding the skin sticking on the plate. But of course, it gives better flavor to the dish in whole.
Note 2 : There is a delicate balance between perfectly cooked fish and overcooked fish. First of all, remember the principle of residual heat. A pan will hold heat when it’s removed from the heat source, continuing to cook the food for several minutes. For best results, cook fish until it is almost done, then remove the pan from the stove. Let it stand for about 1 or 2 minutes before serving. I know, waiting is really torturing.
The criteria we go with is that the meat still has a tinge of red but the meat comes off the bone easily with chopsticks or a fork. If the meat sticks to the bone then it is under cooked If you overcooked your fish, the texture will turn harder and not as tender as what you expect. Different fish size requires different steaming time. I’m not sure about others, but to me, my fish steamed nicely according to below timing. Fish must be in room temperature.
- 400g Fish = 6 to 7 minutes
- 450g Fish = 7 to 8 minutes
- 500g Fish = 8 to 9 minutes
- 600g Fish = 9 to 10 minutes